The Harris School provides a safe environment, both physically and emotionally, for up to 30 students. Our classrooms become a rich environment for learning and relationship building, where students learn about themselves, practice new coping skills and create positive experiences.
Our staff-to-student ratio of 1:5 allows for individualized attention and instruction.
Teachers, family consultants, parents and outside providers of Harris School students are committed to our unique team approach. This approach ensures students' progress, goals and challenges are communicated with everyone working with that student. We strive to equip studnets with coping strategies, new patterns of thinking and a more positive attitude because the ultimate goal is to transition them into a more mainstream, academic setting.
Each year, approximately 1/3 of our students are able to transition based on the following measurable goals:
- Work collaboratively with others in a variety of settings
- Complete a school day without a major behavioral or emotional interruption
- Communicate feelings and needs to others
- “Move on” and recover when faced with challenges
- Perform successfully on the appropriate academic level